Thursday, August 23, 2012

Preparing for the First Day of School


Bus.jpg So you might think we are talking pencils and erasers ..but we are talking about the emotions that come pouring out when you see your little one get on the bus for the first time. Everyone says "time flies" and you "won't believe how quickly it goes" but you never actually understand it until that first day of school. 

My daughter attended preschool from age 3 to 5 and then half day kindergarten last year so we still had a great majority of the day together seeing as how each only lasted about 2.5 hours. We still had time to eat lunch, play games, go the park and all those other things we have become so accustomed to doing over the last 6 years. Over the summer I found myself thinking "it will be really strange with no "MOM" being shouted from the living room to the upstairs all day ..everyday. 

So how do you prepare for this ? I think the best way to prepare yourself for the milestones where your children become more independent is to embrace every moment you have with them. As cliche as it might sound they are only little once. I can recall several hundred times of thinking ..I have to get this done and then I will play with you. But in reality all those "things" that seem so important really are not. Now that she is gone during the day there is plenty of time to vacuum and fold clothes ; and I miss hearing "MOM" at all hours of the day. 

So I made her a promise before the first day of school. When the bus drops her off I clock out of my work routine. I have 8 hours to get all the work done that I need to and the evenings are "our time". So as your little one grows and you start thinking about the days when you will be dropping them off at preschool or school remember to make the most of the days when you got to keep them home. 

Prepare yourself and your children for the first day of school by making each day leading up to it and after a memory to cherish. 

Written by Amber Scollick Mother & Owner of Beana Baby Boutique

No comments:

Post a Comment